intensity sequences

Request a feature that you would like to see in QLC+.
Explain in details why you would need it and which is your usage case.
musicplus

Hi,
first of all, thanks for QLC!

Currently i'm trying to program separate intensity programs for rgb fixtures, so i can change the color independent. The RGB matrix mask feature dosen't work for me, because it dosen't stay on top of the running functions and i want to have more control over every single step.

It would be nice, if there is a way to create chaser or sequences that control the limit of the rgb/rgbw/rgbwa channels that stays allways on top of all running functions.

Thanks!
Fxedel

I want to push this thread and state my own opinion / explanation on the topic:

During our last show, we had different types of fixtures installed: Some LEDs with RGBD channel configuration, so we could set the intensity independently from color, and some LEDs with RGB channel configuration, so we could only set the intensity by proportionally decreasing the value of the three RGB channels.

For the RGBD LEDs, we created intensity scenes (e.g. "all on", "all off", "1 2 on", "3 5 on", etc.) and color scenes ("red", "cyan", "lightblue", "super cool orange"). We created intensity chasers (like random LEDs blinking, or cycling all LEDs, one after another) and created a Virtual Console with: A solo frame including buttons for each color, and a solo frame including buttons for each intensity chaser and a submaster fader (to specifiy the maximum intensity). With this setup, we could set the color and the chaser independently from each other and also define how bright the LEDs should blink up.

But how to handle the RGB LEDs? How could we create intensity chasers that don't affect the color? I guess it's not possible at all at the moment. A solution would be the ability for a scene to not set a channel's value directly, but only multiply its current value with a factor. So the scene "1 2 on" would set the factor to 100% for R1, G1, B1, R2, G2, B2 and to 0% for R3, G3, B3, R4, G4, B4, R5, G5, B5. Then we could create color scenes that set the color directly, like 255/70/12.

Another solution is to only use RGB functions (which are quite useful with pixel bars – we had new ones during our last show and the effects were awesome!), but they're very limited when using them with individual LED pars and are bound to a static color (or multiple colors, but they can't changed at runtime). There's no solution for manual created chasers.

@massimo: Could this be an addition for QLC+ 5? Or is this already solved with another feature? Don't hesitate asking me if the problem / situation isn't clear yet.
Have a look at the Open Fixture Library! It's a project to collect fixture definitions in a unified format and make them downloadable for different lighting programs, including QLC+.
camwolfe

Another possibility would be to use the loopback plugin, it requires some configuration though. I once used a setup as follows: You take a free universe and create "virtual" fixtures with RGB + Dimmer there. You put the output of that universe to the loopback adapter. Then you create one frame for each of your RGB fixtures for which you want to create a dimmer channel. Into this go four sliders or knobs. Three of them are in level mode and directly control the channel of a RGB-fixture. You configure the fourth as a submaster. This way it behaves similar to an "all dimmer" channel. Now you map the four knobs to take input from a virtual fixture via you loopback universe. With the virtual fixtures you can now program as if you had RGB+Dimmer fixtures. There might be issues with latency, but it was acceptable for my purpose.
Cheers,
Cam