Universal fixture control widget

Request a feature that you would like to see in QLC+.
Explain in details why you would need it and which is your usage case.
msikorsk

Universal fixture control widget

Post by msikorsk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi,
First of all, congratulations to Massimo Callegari and all contributors, amazingly great job. QLC+ is simply great.

Lighting is my hobby and I’m not a professional user but I was working on many lighting control software, including professional solutions from Compulite (all series of Vector) and GrandMA. I’m lucky. My brother and my best friend are professional lighting producers. This gives me an easy access to many “toys” and newest equipment.
Sometimes we test new devices and my most common comment is… This is much easier to manage it with QLC+ . You should see their face. Especially when we try to learn something new on GrandMA. :D :D :D
Once again, GREAT JOB!

One question/suggestion.
When we use professional lighting control console and we want to set scenes we can easily select fixture or group of fixtures and set most of channels precisely with simple 4 physical encoders.
Depending group of parameters four wheels change their functionality (pan, tilt, dimmer, etc.). This is extremely useful. Especially in case of moving heads and scanners.

I would be happy to see a widget on VC letting assign fixtures and groups of fixtures and control them through input device. All the time, the same function with the same knob/encoder. Pan would go to first knob, tilt to second, dim on first knob of respective layer, etc.
This would limit number of items required on VC and make job easier for those moving from Compulite or MAlighting to QLC+.

Following video illustrates this functionality on GrandMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwINIy4aNnc

All best,

Marcin Sikorski

Baer

Re: Universal fixture control widget

Post by Baer » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:07 pm

Would totaly support such a feature where a can select fixtures or groups from a dropdown list or something.

At least for the Movementpart you can workaround using XYPad with fixture group presets i think.
Never tried it (because of lack of time) but according to documentation this should fulfill your requierements for moving

msikorsk

Post by msikorsk » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi,
Yes, you are right. This is how I do it with pan/tilt. Is a kind of workaround but quite inflexible with fixture selection.
Requires many presets defined and takes a lot of VC space.

Marcin

MidCity

Post by MidCity » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:32 pm

I'm not a moderator, but this might do better in the feature requests section.

I would like to bump this thread, so we can get it in the right place, and hopefully see this functionality in the future.

As far as I have figured out there is no way to do this with QLC+ in it's current state. There is some functionality for individual fixtures in a widget with cloned pages set for each unit. You could also make groups in pages of their own, but that gets clunky when programming. The ability to label pages might make that somewhat better.

This is something that is a base practice on all professional desks. ETC's EOS series is most notably the easiest to use in this respect. Though it is fairly easy on the MA and HOG as well.

sbenejam

Post by sbenejam » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:46 pm

msikorsk wrote:Hi,
First of all, congratulations to Massimo Callegari and all contributors, amazingly great job. QLC+ is simply great.

Lighting is my hobby and I’m not a professional user but I was working on many lighting control software, including professional solutions from Compulite (all series of Vector) and GrandMA. I’m lucky. My brother and my best friend are professional lighting producers. This gives me an easy access to many “toys” and newest equipment.
Sometimes we test new devices and my most common comment is… This is much easier to manage it with QLC+ . You should see their face. Especially when we try to learn something new on GrandMA. :D :D :D
Once again, GREAT JOB!

One question/suggestion.
When we use professional lighting control console and we want to set scenes we can easily select fixture or group of fixtures and set most of channels precisely with simple 4 physical encoders.
Depending group of parameters four wheels change their functionality (pan, tilt, dimmer, etc.). This is extremely useful. Especially in case of moving heads and scanners.

I would be happy to see a widget on VC letting assign fixtures and groups of fixtures and control them through input device. All the time, the same function with the same knob/encoder. Pan would go to first knob, tilt to second, dim on first knob of respective layer, etc.
This would limit number of items required on VC and make job easier for those moving from Compulite or MAlighting to QLC+.

Following video illustrates this functionality on GrandMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwINIy4aNnc

All best,

Marcin Sikorski
Take a look to the Channel Group Editor. http://qlcplus.org/docs/channelsgroupeditor.html

msikorsk

Post by msikorsk » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:14 pm

sbenejam wrote:
Take a look to the Channel Group Editor. http://qlcplus.org/docs/channelsgroupeditor.html
Thanks,
but I see no option to make it with this function. I want to control individual fixtures with the same "knobs", just by selecting one or group.

Marcin

Baer

Post by Baer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:20 am

So finally most other issues on my own lighting desk are solved (reminds me on creating a thread for this) I'm planning to implement a virtual console widget to achieve something like that.

Idea is to have a widget containing some standard controls and a fixture selction list
If you select a fixture or a group of fixtures the channels of the fixtures are assinged to the controls dependent on channel type.
The controls will act in level mode using the new overwrite feature

For a first iteration i plan to use 1 Slider and 4 knobs containing Intensity 16bit Pan and 16bit Tilt, but could be extended easily later.

I'm also thinking about a possibilty of storing this into (existing scences)
Should be possible by using existing functions providing only the channels used by selected fixture/group.

To the developers:
Do you think something like that is possible within current software structure?
What are the pitfalls of qlc+ internals i should be aware of?
Do you think this might be of general interest?

mcallegari

Post by mcallegari » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:51 pm

To the developers:
Do you think something like that is possible within current software structure?
Yes, but I doubt I will accept a feature so big at this stage. Most likely this is something for QLC+ 5.
What are the pitfalls of qlc+ internals i should be aware of?
No idea.
Do you think this might be of general interest?
You should ask the majority (users), not the minority (developers)

Baer

Post by Baer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Thank you for your answer Massimo,

So as you statet that such a major feature would probably not going to be accepted (which a can understand because of your effort on qlc+5) I will implement it only working for my own needs, with no active plan on sharing it
Makes also things much easier for me...

Neverthless it would be great to see such a feature in QLC+5 from the begining..