Multi-Screen/Instance Support

Request a feature that you would like to see in QLC+.
Explain in details why you would need it and which is your usage case.
Chickenparm42

Hello,

I have been using QLC+ for a while now, and decided to register for the forums. I would really like the support for multiple screens/monitors in QLC+. I think it would be extremely beneficial to both me and other users. My laptop does not have an integrated touch screen, so I have an external touchscreen. However, as far as I can tell, I can only use QLC+ on the touchscreen OR the laptop monitor, and not both at the same time. It would be amazing if I could do both. I have been exposed to the Avolites Pearl Expert with Touch Wing and External Screen (in a professional environment) and have learned how much even a second screen can increase productivity. Especially if I am trying to busk a show, it would be amazing to program features on one screen while running the show off of the other screen.

A possible alternative would be some sort of system that allows one QLC+ instance to interface directly with another instance on another computer over the network. For example, I could program on one computer and run the show off of the other. Sort of like the web interface, but where one instance of QLC+ on, say, a Linux laptop could act almost as a programmer for the master instance running on a more powerful laptop, which in my case runs Windows.

Now I'm no programmer, so I don't know if either of these are even feasible with how QLC+ is written. But it would be immensely helpful to be able to program AND run a show at the same time. I don't usually have a ton of time to pre-program a show, and this would be a great addition to QLC+.

Thank You, and keep up the great work!

-Matt
janosvitok

As far as I know, you can manually extend qlc+ window to cover multiple screens.
Chickenparm42

janosvitok wrote:As far as I know, you can manually extend qlc+ window to cover multiple screens.
I have not tried this myself. However, the issue with this is that it doesn't really fulfill my request. I may not have been clear initially, but I am looking for a solution that allows for QLC+ to be displaying DIFFERENT information on each screen. An example would be Functions on one screen and Virtual Console on the other.

-Matt
siegmund

Although I know that this would mean lots of work, I really would appreciate such a feature, too. Maybe something to keep in mind for QLC+ 5?
janosvitok

For now, you may open VC on the other screen using browser and webinterface...
Baer

I thought about modifiyng QLC+ to support MultiMonitor Environments at the start of developing my own LightingDesk.
Due to lack of Frontplane Space and change to Raspberry Pi (instead of a smaller CPU but with MultiMonitorSupport) which has only one HDMI Output i dropped this feature.

From the first investigation i did at that time: Making it completly workable and costumizeable would be a lot of effort.

A simpler Idea which may be possible to implement in a quick way can be to make the Tabs of the MainWindow dragable.
Thus if a tab is draged out it will be put into a new TabWidget which comes along with its own window.
Anyway I'm not sure how far the QLC+5 development is and if someone of the Team still will implement such a feature for QLC+4, support of multiple Monitors would be a great feature for QLC+5.
mcallegari

In QLC+ 5 contexts can be detached, as I shown in my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD5qtJMn6KI
Same goes for the Virtual Console

At this stage, I will put no more effort on QLC+ 4 for big features
Krsound

Agreed lets get qlc 5 rolling
BenGibson2601

I would very much like to see some multi screen support also if possible. Its great that item will be detachable in QLC 5.
What i find im needing however is more Virtual Console space. So maybe being able to select a second VC page that can be detached to obviously place on another screen
would be fantastic. Not a big fan on the dragging QLC across 2 monitors. Cant use fullscreen mode etc.
Cant wait for QLC+ 5!