Option to "Dump DMX" values from an input DMX universe

Request a feature that you would like to see in QLC+.
Explain in details why you would need it and which is your usage case.
LXfanatic

Hi,

In V 4.10.4, I have passthrough enabled on Universe 1, I have an artnet input dmx universe mapped to Universe 1 and I have Universe 1 also mapped to an artnet output. I have a 24 channel generic fixture loaded at address 1 Universe 1.

I can see the effect of input passthrough DMX on the Simple Desk and on the Fixture Monitor. QLC+ is responding as expected to the 24 input channels being controlled by an external desk.

However when I dump DMX to a function, it records none of the input passthrough DMX values - it only records something values QLC+ is generating internally, either by a function or by the Simple Desk settings.

I would like the DMX Dump function to always record QLC output AND any output values generated by passthrough input values. If it is necessary to retain the current DMX Dump functionality then I would like to be able to select the option to Dump passthrough values please. The option setting should be saved in as how file and remember its last setting whenever QLC+ is opened.

I can see many people are asking if QLC+ works this way so I suspect there will be a large demand for this function. It allows us to use an external wing to program shows faster.
EarthBlu

I'm working on the same issue, I have external console feeding a ENTTEC DMX USB Pro, data is passed thru and reflected on stage however when I dump to scene, no data is recorded.... If I make any head way I'll let you know, if you figure it out I'd appreciate a tip

Thanks

Well after posting I had a thought, if you go to simple desk after setting levels with an external controller, if you adjust each value of interest by + - one, the channel turns red and is locked in, then you can capture that and write it to a button. It's a bit convoluted, but it does work and is acceptable for me for the time being

Hope this helps
janosvitok

I've checked this issue.

Problem is here:

The internal process how dmx data in QLC+ is produced is following (more or less):

1. take data from various DMX sources like VC widgets, running functions, etc.
2. add relative data from efx/xy pads in relative mode
3. apply grand master
4. apply channel modifiers
5. merge with input data if passthrough is enabled

DMX dump takes values from step 1. It may be modified to take values from 2. or 3., but I don't think it's good idea to take 4.
If we do not want step 4 in DMX dump means we can't have 5. - input from outside.

Now some reasoning:

(1) channel modifiers are the very last thing to apply, especially after grand master: I don't want GM to affect channel modifiers.
If ChM says minimum value is 10, I don't want GM to change it. Also, if ChM applies a curve, I don't want GM to squash it.

(2) passthrough data is applied after GM and after ChM - I want the data to be passed unchanged, no processing on it.

(3) DMX dump should be taken before ChM - because otherwise the saved data has ChM already applied. When you output it, you won't get the same data on output,
since ChM will be applied second time.

(4) DMX dump should be taken before GM: This is for open discussion. The idea was that GM is global thing, and if you run a scene, apply GM and take dump, you won't get the same values.
That may be a good thing or not.

(5) Similarly for relative data - the question is if we want to have them in dump or not. I don't mind either way. It seemed to me that without relative it's a bit clearer (in a mathematical way :) )
It's easier to get the same data back.

Now as I think about it, I may change the DMX dump to take data after step 1. and merge passthrough data from step 5...
janosvitok

janosvitok wrote:Now as I think about it, I may change the DMX dump to take data after step 1. and merge passthrough data from step 5...
Implemented in git: DMX dump takes data from step 1. and applies also step 5. No relative data and no GM now.
EarthBlu

I'm pretty much a newbie in terms of git, how do I go about getting this update into my qlc+ ? Any hints or tips would be VERY much appreciated! This is the one feature I've been trying to get to work... merging pass through into the dump to function

I'm running Ubuntu, if it matters

Thanks
janosvitok

Here is a text describing how to build QLC+ from sources: https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/w ... -build-Qt5

In the "QLC+ sources" section, choose the "bleeding edge" way, using "git clone".

Ask here you get stuck.