Sliders in VC should be able to act like Simple Desk sliders, i.e. overriding the current cue level

Request a feature that you would like to see in QLC+.
Explain in details why you would need it and which is your usage case.
mcallegari

Last batch of changes, and then I would like to merge this upstream
- fixed the visibility of the reset button external control group in settings dialog
- fixed monitoring level in inverted slider appearance
- attempted to fix the rendering issue causing a slider to deadlock. Not sure about this but I think there are still cases where it happens. However, I'm not 100% positive this is related to the latest changes. I've got the impression this was already there and related to the monitoring feature in general

Windows build 4.10.6.46: https://dl.bintray.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/
shortylight

Hi all,

just did some quick tests as this weekend I am quite short of time. I found no issues, better to say I am absolutely lucky with this solution.

@Massimo: Thank you for jumping into this. Only with your large amount of work this great new feature could be implemented into QLC+ (V4.x). Once again I want to say "Thank you". I will have my next large event in April this year and with this feature in QLC+ I am looking forward to do my job with a new quality of tool.

If there is anything I can help with the further development of QLC+ (I am not a developer), please let me know.

Have a nice rest of the weekend!

Martin
siegmund

mcallegari wrote:Last batch of changes, and then I would like to merge this upstream
- fixed the visibility of the reset button external control group in settings dialog
- fixed monitoring level in inverted slider appearance
- attempted to fix the rendering issue causing a slider to deadlock. Not sure about this but I think there are still cases where it happens. However, I'm not 100% positive this is related to the latest changes. I've got the impression this was already there and related to the monitoring feature in general
I tested this and it works pretty good. So from my point of view this could be merged.
Again I want to thank you for all your work. I'll be able to test this in detail at a venue next weekend but I'm confident the new feature will do a great job! :)
mcallegari

Very good !
Thanks everyone for testing and reporting with feedbacks.
Tomorrow I'll merge the changes upstream, together with documenting it
Baer

Thank you Massimo for your great work.

I was very busy the last week and not able to test it, but the comments here sound very promissing.
siegmund

Please don't mind me to bring this up again. In preparation of an event next week I played around a bit more with the feature and so far it looks great!
I noticed that the new behavior is also applied to knobs, which I really like because I can use everything all over my BCF 2000. The only thing is, that the level bar is not displayed at all (which absolutely makes sense because a knob is a radial not a linear control) but I wondered if there could be a way to display the actual monitored level, too. Maybe one of you has an idea?

Regards,
siegmund
Baer

So after that long time i was able to test the whole thing.

The implementation totaly fits my needs, so i can return to current git master branch on my self made lighting desk.

For the first quick test everithing seems to be smooth and stable :)
Will test it under real circumstances next weekend, have some workshop there, and can test current git version in live environment without ruining the show if something went wrong :)

Thanks again massimo for taking over and integrating this feature, was really a showstopper for me.
mlohrey

I have just had a chance to build a Mac OSX version from the latest source and am finding that the screen is freezing if I enable more than 2 or 3 sliders.

See this video. https://www.dropbox.com/s/eme8xq7y60czu ... s.mp4?dl=0

You can see that DMX is still being produced but the slider graphic isn't changing.

I am using the lastest version on MAC OSX and using the attached workspace.

I am away on holidays and don't have access to other operating systems to test.
Newslider Test.qxw
(10.04 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
mcallegari

Please try now. Deadlocks should be fixed.
mlohrey

Built a new version this morning.

Testing was better, but was able to reproduce the same locking behaviour.

See this video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7zdp13n457j6b ... 2.mp4?dl=0
mcallegari

Please try again one more time.
Let's hope this is the good one :)
mlohrey

Hi Massimo,

Good news. I wasn't able to lock the sliders.

Bad news.
1. Over-ride sliders don't appear to be affecting the DMX being sent. ( see start of video)
2. Strange things seem to happen when the over-ride sliders are set to zero and DMX output is set to 254. (see end of video)

See this video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvjkdl3vn1rp3 ... t.mp4?dl=0

3. Selecting blend mode causes files not to save correctly.
(I was testing the new fader feature to see if that was causing screen lock ups and also wether fading with matrices with fade time would work)

See this video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pn3d9r2dw0aig ... s.mp4?dl=0

Cheers

Mark

PS. Internet is slow here and videos make take some time to upload
mcallegari

mlohrey wrote:Good news. I wasn't able to lock the sliders.
Very good, thanks for testing.
mlohrey wrote:1. Over-ride sliders don't appear to be affecting the DMX being sent. ( see start of video)
2. Strange things seem to happen when the over-ride sliders are set to zero and DMX output is set to 254. (see end of video)
Alright, I will have a look into it tonight.
mlohrey wrote:3. Selecting blend mode causes files not to save correctly.
Actually it was saved correctly but not loaded correctly. I've just applied a fix on git.
mcallegari

OK, hopefully now it's all solved.

If you have the chance, please test the latest GIT code or automated builds.
Thanks !
mlohrey

Hi Massimo,

Was able to test this morning and couldn't cause any errors. I will continue to test but it looks good. Thanks.

The over-ride works very well and the cue list functionality is much improved.

I had a thought while testing. It would be great if the active cue in a cue list was coloured green. It would match the over-ride slider green and be a strong colour to indicate the active cue and link the concept. At the moment it is grey and changes if you click another cue (as mentioned elsewhere in the forum).

Also, the linked faders make it possible to fade a matrix, chaser or collection correctly and serves as a work around to the issues with fade times in cue lists. (It would be great to resolve this problem of though :D)

Cheers
Mark
shortylight

Hi Massimo,

just found the time to do some testing. I was not able to find any error related to the new Fader feature any more. It seems that the merge and the bug fixes have been successful!

Martin
mdmayfield

I'm looking forward to using this feature in a future stable release, and have been testing. So far it is working great!

One question - is it possible to reset all fader overrides at once, or if not, might this be considered for adding as a feature? I'm using a large number of frames, some hidden and/or disabled, and it would be nice to clear all overrides with a single button (like in Simple Desk) rather than hunt for faders with red X's.
siegmund

mdmayfield wrote:One question - is it possible to reset all fader overrides at once, or if not, might this be considered for adding as a feature? I'm using a large number of frames, some hidden and/or disabled, and it would be nice to clear all overrides with a single button (like in Simple Desk) rather than hunt for faders with red X's.
You could simply assign the same external input to all of the reset buttons. Please note that this will have no effect on widgets, that are in disabled frames.
mdmayfield

siegmund wrote:Please note that this will have no effect on widgets, that are in disabled frames.
Thanks for the response. Yes, this is precisely the issue and the reason I would like to see a universal Reset Overrides feature.

I am using an OSC control surface to control 28 different RGBW PARs. My custom layout includes four sliders (R, G, B, W) and 28 push buttons. In QLC+ I have 28 frames, each of which is enabled/disabled by a control surface pushbutton. Inside each frame is a group of four Level Mode sliders, all manipulated by the same four OSC controls, but running a different lighting instrument per frame.

In this way I can enable or disable fixtures to be controlled by the four RGBW controls very easily, but in order to release the fader overrides after dumping DMX to a function, I must either remember exactly which fixtures I used, or push all 28 buttons to enable all frames, reset the override, then push all 28 buttons to disable the frames again.

As you can imagine this is rather tedious so if possible I would like to find a way to reset all overrides in one go.

Thank you!

Matt
GGGss

Matt,
You are (presumably) using this setup to install / pre-programm your show...
Creative solution you came up with...
If you look at other desks you are simulating 'locate' 'highlite' and 'low-light' features found with those. The 'clear' button on those desks is of course indispensible ... I see your point.
Question aside: how do you cope with dumping all selected values in cue's? You can only set RGBW values with enabled frames...

Maybe there would be a clever way to deal with setting up / pre-programming a show.
[excuse me for being off-topic - I realise now]
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore