More translations...why not ?

A place where updates of QLC+ activities and technical articles are posted as if it was a blog
mcallegari

Today I'd like to spend some time on one of the many aspects of the QLC+ project: translations.

At the moment the QLC+ UI is delivered in 11 languages, thanks to users contributions. Most of the translations are regularly updated by old time users, but some of them unfortunately are being left to their own destiny (equals to being removed in a long term)
However, translating the UI is not always the only thing that can help new users to approach QLC+.
There are at least 2 other levels of translations: the documentation and video tutorials.
Over the years I've been asked many times for translated things, mostly by italian, french and spanish users. (as if I speak all the languages in the world...)

Of course, I don't have the time nor the knowledge to fulfill such requests, and I always reply that English is the universal language in the technology world and in 2018 one should know it.
On the other hand I understand the difficulties one can have with a foreign language...thus this post.

A few days ago, a user submitted the whole QLC+ documentation translated in Japanese ! This came out to my big surprise, since according to the qlcplus.org website statistics, Japan doesn't seem to have a lot of QLC+ users (compared to Germany, France, Italy...cough...cough...)
So I immediately decided to work on a documentation structure that is open to new contributions in the future.

The thing is: who is good enough with the English language, would surely not spend his time to translate something in his native language.
But the real thing is: would you, instead, offer your English knowledge to help your country fellows to use QLC+ ?

Translating QLC+ is a massive job, but if you have some spare time and you're willing to contribute to the project with the spirit of open source software, I'm pretty sure you would make many other people happy.
Unfortunately the only thing I can offer in return is your name in the QLC+ website.

In conclusion, if you care to help, I will support you.
If you want to translate/update the UI, instructions are here.
If you want to translate the documentation, just make a copy of the html_en_EN folder that you can find here and proceed.
In both cases, using GitHub Pull Requests is the preferred method to work together.

Thanks !
Antarchoc

Hello Massimo, Hello All,

I've been thinking about making QLC+ video tutorials in french, regularly the last year. So I offer my help !
I use QLC+ in a professionnal live show / theater / production environment, so i've aquired a good handling of this powerful tool.

I also like a lot to explain and teach things

Are there other French people here to work together on the topic ?

Massimo, from your experience of video tutorials, have you some advice to prepare the work ?

Best regards to all
Antarchoc
mcallegari

Antarchoc wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:09 pm Hello Massimo, Hello All,
I've been thinking about making QLC+ video tutorials in french, regularly the last year. So I offer my help !
I use QLC+ in a professionnal live show / theater / production environment, so i've aquired a good handling of this powerful tool.
I also like a lot to explain and teach things
Are there other French people here to work together on the topic ?
Massimo, from your experience of video tutorials, have you some advice to prepare the work ?
Hello Antoine,
thanks for your offer.
The only thing I can recommend is to treat one topic at the time.
Trying to cover too many aspects of QLC+ in one video will end up in a confusing and incomplete tutorial.
Basically, you can follow the topics I've covered in my videos. You don't necessarily need to do the same things I did, but at least separate the videos by topic.
Thanks
GGGss

Antoine,

From teaching experience I can tell you: 1st RGB fixture should be light within the first 10 minutes or you'll loose the audience's interest.

my 1st lesson 1st part: (10 minutes)
download, install, run, connect DMX interface, setup 1 generic RGB device, 2 cue's red and blue, in VC 2 buttons bound to cue's -> go play

Doing this the students can repeat all the steps 1 by 1 and be proud within no time (:

After that I let them 'free' for 10 or more minutes ... they start talking to each other, share their results and this gives me the time to tweak one or two students stations which are faulty or whatever problem they have...

After that you __have__ their attention to learn things - rest assured
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore