QLC+ 5 Preview - Update #3

A place where updates of QLC+ activities and technical articles are posted as if it was a blog
Jungle Jim

Wow! Amazing! Keep on the good work!
outloaf

I don't think I've ever been so excited for software as I am for v5.. that said, I think you should start charging and make this your only job. It's incredible.
Matt2468rv

Wow! Nice work! Love the 3D visualization and I'm glad you are going to take it further by getting some outside help to get gobos, beams, etc working. Then I won't have to jump through hoops to get Magic 3D Easy View working with QLC+ anymore! :)

I'm also glad you are going to be releasing an alpha version!! You will definitely get the best feedback for bug fixes by letting others use it, even if it's not finished! I will be more than happy to test the alpha once it's available.
ethanm3

Very exciting! Amazing work. You already have a more attractive GUI than Chamsys! I love the new features. I'm hoping for some awesome new RGB Matrix and pixel mapping options.

The visualizer feature is fantastic. I personally won't need it because I use Capture, but a few years ago it would have been very helpful, so I think that this update adds a lot of value to the program as a beginner-friendly lighting application.

Thank you for all your hard work on this project. Count on my monetary support (if small) when 5 comes out!
Ethan Moses
Founder / Manager
Savory Lighting Design
www.savorylights.com
onlythumper

Dude... Massimo... don't ever fret when you "reach your limits". You've already done waaaaay more than enough for all of us. You are a literal hero. If it weren't for your ongoing work with QLC+, I would never have been able to get into lighting design the way I have. Having a free, updatable, constantly evolving piece of software that handles all common control standards has made it easy to get into controlling lights. So much so that I've purchased enough lighting to start producing a live show for my own electronic music project, entirely run on QLC+. Version 5 is looking AMAZING to say the least, and we are all super thankful and lucky to have you. I can't wait to see what I can do with the new version! :D
edogawa

siegmund wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:30 pm Maybe this tool is worth a consideration. I did not try to pack an application with it but used it to start one and it worked great! This also would reduce the complexity of deployment on linux distributions.
As I wrote in this posting, I've already tried building an Appimage bundle of qlcplus-git(Qt5, not qlc+5 QML). But currently it doesn't work, mainly because qlcplus uses hardcoded absolute paths in /usr for internal resources like fixure definitions, gobos etc.

Also a limitation of Appimage is that in contrary to MacOS dmg format (to my knowledge) there can only be one main executable that gets started from a bundle via desktop file, and it has to bear the name of the bundle itself. So that means there currently is no way to run the fixture editor from the bundle... at least for my OBS bundle, may be there are workarounds when building outside OBS, with manual control over the individual steps.

So, honestly, for qlcplus I've given up on this idea for the time being. If anyone has interest and the ability to help improve this, I'd be glad if he'd get in touch...

But for reasons I don't quite understand, it seems my referenced posting did not yield any interest.

Cheers,
Edgar
cyclooctane

This looks really really good.
I have been a long term user of QLC+ 4.X for my lighting rig (but a bit of a lurker in the community)
More then happy to help test alpha's as well.
brutus

cant wait for QLC5 to launch, or recieve a alpha/beta :D
gmint

Looks awesome! Can't wait to give it a try. Not sure I'll personally use the video features a lot (because I use MadMapper/Modul8 pretty extensively) but I'm excited to have a simple visualizer (which will be plenty for my use)!
Silicon_Knight

Wow! Massimo, v5 just keeps getting more and more amazing. I'm still a humble (mostly) theatre user, with the occasional small rock band need. However, it is incredibly clear that you are taking QLC+ 5 to the next level.

i just had an opportunity to program a show in Martin-PC and I have to admit, there were some QLC+ concepts that didn't exist in Martin, that I was missing. However, I did get to learn a lot about the Martin workflow and understand how they approach programming a show. In watching the latest QLC+ videos (thank you so much for making these - that's hard work by itself!), I see a lot of the "Professional" light console concepts being implemented (group handling of lights, auto position aiming of a group, selective channel capture by color/intens/pos to create presets, etc.). However, one of the key features of QLC+ that I felt I was missing in Martin was the concept of Collections. It was so nice in your second video to see that applied to pull the various pieces (color/intens/EFX) back together.

Thank you again for all of your tireless effort on this project!!

Even though QLC+ is (currently) free, everyone who uses QLC+ and ESPECIALLY everyone who posts on this forum should send you a donation today - who can't afford a few bucks?

Don't let the "complaints" deter you - everyone who is an avid user is just eager to use QLC+ in new and interesting ways - if it's feasible, consider it - if not, don't sweat it and keep moving forward!