RS232 Output

gpurenne

Hi,

I was wondering if in QLC 5 there will be the possibilities to send RS232 strings via the virtual consoles.
I think that this options will be a great plus to the software because a lot of pro equipment have this protocol.
mcallegari

Hi

1- have you considered to use the Script function to send RS232 data ?
2- can you be more specific and tell us which devices you have in mind that require such feature ?
gpurenne

Hi,

I have not considered to use the script function to send RS232, I didn't think it was possible.

A good example of what I want to do is at my job. I work for the University Of Montreal here in Montreal and we are using QLC+ in one of our theater.
What I want to do is to send RS232 control strings to the video projector to turn it up or off or to control the volume of the power amp.
We are using for now a touch screen to control all the lighting spots on the stage and we want to have the possibility to add on it the others equipment that we use.

All these equipments can be controlled via RS232.

In a other hand, I want to use it at my home to control my lighting but also my multizone amp who can accept RS232 controls too.
mcallegari

Please provide:
- Operating system running QLC+
- Manuals of those devices describing how RS232 data should be formatted
gpurenne

mcallegari wrote:Please provide:
- Operating system running QLC+
- Manuals of those devices describing how RS232 data should be formatted

For now, everything is installed on a windows 7 Computer. In the future I want to buy the Raspberry Pi B+ version to use it with a touch screen in a wall.

This is one of the device I want to control:
http://downloads.monoprice.com/files/ma ... 141028.pdf ( The infos are at the end )

For the amp, what I want to do is to control the volume and the source in each zone. With my phone connected to the computer with QLC+, I can use it as a remote for the all house. For now it's working pretty well for all the lighting.

I'm sending the data with a device like this one:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-2-0-TO-SERIA ... SwT5tWJyVF

If it is possible with the script editor into QLC+, only an example on how to do it should be fine with me. I will play with it later to change the RS232 strings to fit everything.

For the University, everything is on windows 7 computer too. The videoprojector to control is a Christie J Series, here is the serial command manual:
http://www.qed-productions.com/download ... mation.pdf
janosvitok

I've seen such devices:

- Panasonic projector: https://support.panasonic.co.nz/docstor ... ctions.pdf (I don't have access anymore; I haven't used it's RS232 interface)
- Denon DN-C620 CD Player (http://e345eb35efcb99754b1f-525d2f2124a ... OM_ENG.pdf) I haven't used RS232 with it either :)
but at least it's in my living room. I'm not sure if I have rs232 interface.
mcallegari

OK, thanks both for the info.

Now, to use the Script function, we should find simple applications (for windows, linux and OSX) to send serial commands via command line. I think in Linux minicom can be used, but I have no idea on other OSes and lately I don't have time to do the search myself

As for sending messages natively from QLC+...well it's totally another story and it's not easy at all, since the plugin system doesn't work with arbitrary messages that you can configure.
The closest thing to it are OSC paths defined in a custom input profile.
Even if I find a generic way, there's no guarantee, especially on Windows, that serial adapters can be easily detected without falling into some damn proprietary drivers issues.
gpurenne

mcallegari wrote:OK, thanks both for the info.

Now, to use the Script function, we should find simple applications (for windows, linux and OSX) to send serial commands via command line. I think in Linux minicom can be used, but I have no idea on other OSes and lately I don't have time to do the search myself

As for sending messages natively from QLC+...well it's totally another story and it's not easy at all, since the plugin system doesn't work with arbitrary messages that you can configure.
The closest thing to it are OSC paths defined in a custom input profile.
Even if I find a generic way, there's no guarantee, especially on Windows, that serial adapters can be easily detected without falling into some damn proprietary drivers issues.
In windows there was the ''Hyperterminal'', the best software to send RS232 data. Since WIndows Vista, the Hyperterminal disappear.

An open source software called ''Tera Term'' can do the job pretty well.