Can't build QLC 4.10.1 on Debian Testing

mitscherdinger

Hello!

Installed everything mentioned on the "QLC+ Build HOWTO" but my computer just couldn't get through it. Here are the last few lines of the output:

Code: Select all

In file included from qrc_qlcui.cpp:9:0:
qrc_qlcui.cpp:17732:44: error: ‘qInitResources_qlcui__init_variable__’ defined but not used [-Werror=unused-variable]
 Q_CONSTRUCTOR_FUNCTION(QT_MANGLE_NAMESPACE(qInitResources_qlcui))
                                            ^
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qglobal.h:941:21: note: in definition of macro ‘Q_CONSTRUCTOR_FUNCTION0’
    static const int AFUNC ## __init_variable__ = AFUNC();
                     ^
qrc_qlcui.cpp:17732:1: note: in expansion of macro ‘Q_CONSTRUCTOR_FUNCTION’
 ^
qrc_qlcui.cpp:17732:24: note: in expansion of macro ‘QT_MANGLE_NAMESPACE’
                        ^
cc1plus: all warnings being treated as errors
Makefile:5495: recipe for target 'qrc_qlcui.o' failed
make[3]: *** [qrc_qlcui.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/lichtmensch/src/qlcplus-4.10.1/ui/src'
Makefile:40: recipe for target 'sub-src-make_default-ordered' failed
make[2]: *** [sub-src-make_default-ordered] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/lichtmensch/src/qlcplus-4.10.1/ui'
Makefile:119: recipe for target 'sub-ui-make_default-ordered' failed
make[1]: *** [sub-ui-make_default-ordered] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/lichtmensch/src/qlcplus-4.10.1'
dh_auto_build: make -j1 returned exit code 2
debian/rules:8: recipe for target 'build' failed
make: *** [build] Error 25
dpkg-buildpackage: Fehler: Fehler-Exitstatus von debian/rules build war 2
any help appreciated…

Thanks!
Mitsch
mcallegari

Moved to software development.

You need to run qmake like this:

Code: Select all

qmake QMAKE_CXXFLAGS+=-Wno-error=unused-variable
And for the record, it would have been appreciated if you told us you were using Qt4 and GCC 5.
mitscherdinger

Yeah, sorry.

I'm not THAT compiling-pro so I thought, before I wrote lots of b*s*t you don't wanna know... :)
But I also kept quiet about the fact that I used the "create-deb.sh" script. Where can I insert the qmake variables?

And by the way: Thanks for the fast answer!

Greets
Mitsch
mcallegari

If you use create-deb it is more complicated.

I suggest to use Qt5.
Qt4 is phasing out and I'm surprised Debian testing still bundles it by default.
Anyway you don't necessarily need to use create-deb unless you actually need a .deb package for installation on different systems.
Just do the qmake/make/make install steps as written in the HOWTO
mitscherdinger

mcallegari wrote:If you use create-deb it is more complicated.
Well, that's okay for me, if I don't waste your time - on the other hand: If the script doesn't work on Debian testing, what's the point in having that script. Or was it targeted for Ubuntu users, only?

I like the idea of being some kind of a software tester for you, if you'd like to fix the script.
But, anyway, just as you want it…
mcallegari wrote:I suggest to use Qt5.
Qt4 is phasing out
That was the plan. But I've got both dependencies installed, qt4 and qt5.
mcallegari wrote:Anyway you don't necessarily need to use create-deb unless you actually need a .deb package for installation on different systems.
Honestly, the netbook I want to use QLC+ on is my last 32bit-system I use, but I just like the possibility to use a package manager like dpkg/apt for installing - and deleting, of course, if that would be necessary. It's just the cleaner way, you know.

It's a bit sad, I couldn't use the Ubuntu package. On my 64bit-Debian-system(s) I could use every pre-build version of QLC+, because they depend on libudev1 instead of libudev0. Even Debian stable has no libudev0 any more. (Don't know which Ubuntu-version still have it.) But, well, you might have your reasons... :)

Greets!
Mitsch
mcallegari

Well, that's okay for me, if I don't waste your time - on the other hand: If the script doesn't work on Debian testing, what's the point in having that script. Or was it targeted for Ubuntu users, only?
I like the idea of being some kind of a software tester for you, if you'd like to fix the script.
First you should try to deploy a project on 3 different operating systems and 10 Linux distros, and then you can comment on the project scripts.
Linux is used by the minority of the QLC+ users. And Ubuntu is the major distribution out there. So, since I don't have time to waste on every distro existing in the world, I target the most popular.

Debian testing is just a bad choice for production. Period.
Plus, it's also a bad decision taken by Debian and Arch to deploy GCC 5 while keeping a non patched version of Qt4, which is more than 3 years old now.
As I said, use Qt5 and you won't have issues.

Also, it seems you're not aware of the Linux automated builds: http://www.qlcplus.org/downloads.html

Judging things is always easy. Proposing a solution is for very few people.
mitscherdinger

Please, don't get mad. I've asked because I don't know, not because I know it better. My english is not that polished to avoid misunderstatements... You're certainly right, if you don't like to invest most time for the least amount of users.

Just thought: The Ubuntu people get an already finished package for download on the qlcplus-homepage AND they can use the "linux automated builds". Then I found the script and thought: Cool, this one's for me!

But it shows that the automated build worked really fine for me. Can't wait to check the latest qlc+-stuff. Thanks!

Most time debian testing turned out to be the best joice for most of my purposes, especially on low performance machines. But as a coder and maintainer there might be different views about that. :)

Greets, keep up the good work!
Mitsch