Fixture library reuse?

brandonpotter

Hey, I'm exploring a touchscreen-console concept that uses a control philosophy a little different than QLC+; but obviously will have to have fixture profiles.

Figured I'd ask, would it be cool to re-use the QLC+ fixture library so long as it's a non-commercial effort? I think it looks fine from an apache 2.0 standpoint and an open git repository, but, wanted to ask before doing so. Thanks!
mcallegari

Fixtures, as the rest of QLC+, are covered by the Apache 2.0 license, so as long as you stick to it you can use them.
Courtesy wants in these cases, that you reference the QLC+ project, or me, or the individual fixture creator with public credits.

Copying is OK, but crediting the efforts is better.

Shall we know the name of this console you want to use ?
brandonpotter

Works for me. I know the license covers it but it's always good to give credit where credit is due...

Name is undecided. Exploring whether or not it's possible to create a truly touchscreen-friendly palette-based and busk-friendly PC control surface. QLC+ is very good in a lot of scenarios but in others I really like the MA/Hog style. Problem is the PC versions of those consoles are terrible to work on without a good amount of hardware (wings etc). We'll see...
mcallegari

brandonpotter wrote:Name is undecided. Exploring whether or not it's possible to create a truly touchscreen-friendly palette-based and busk-friendly PC control surface. QLC+ is very good in a lot of scenarios but in others I really like the MA/Hog style. Problem is the PC versions of those consoles are terrible to work on without a good amount of hardware (wings etc). We'll see...
Then you might be interested in what I'm doing for the next generation QLC+: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD5qtJMn6KI
It is strongly oriented for touchscreen usage and the workflow changes to a visual approach rather than a numeric one.

Maybe we could join forces instead of creating new softwares :)
janosvitok

It may make sense to reuse also plugins (provided you are going to use QT).
brandonpotter

Very familiar with the new version of QLC+ video. :) Perhaps if the concept kind of works I can see how compatible it would be with a QLC workflow. I would love to be contributing to an active project instead of spinning up something different, for sure, but don't want to mess with the QLC philosophy of fixture layout and programming.

QLC+ is great at laying out individual fixtures and components and is a lot easier to use on a PC than just about anything else out there - but I miss the power of the palette-based approach w/ feature-masking and command lines that you see in GrandMA / Hog / MagicQ and the like. But all of those are terrible to try and use without really expensive hardware. There's got to be a nice in-between, but that control philosophy is not QLC as far as I can tell... am I wrong? :)
mcallegari

brandonpotter wrote:QLC+ is great at laying out individual fixtures and components and is a lot easier to use on a PC than just about anything else out there - but I miss the power of the palette-based approach w/ feature-masking and command lines that you see in GrandMA / Hog / MagicQ and the like. But all of those are terrible to try and use without really expensive hardware. There's got to be a nice in-between, but that control philosophy is not QLC as far as I can tell... am I wrong? :)
Indeed the standard QLC+ workflow is based on a Fixture/Function approach.
But we also have the Simple Desk panel. I believe it was originally meant for people coming from traditional consoles.
It works even if you don't define any fixture, so in case, any non-QLC+ behaviour can go there.

In the past (and also recently) I've received requests of controlling channels/fixture groups via keyboard commands or capabilities (what you call palette), so it may makes sense to start including those features in QLC+ 5.

I haven't started to code Simple Desk in QLC+ 5 yet, so if you want to join, we can prepare a sort of requirements/specifications list to have a clear picture of how it should be designed and what's needed.
I would appreciate if you can share screenshots/manuals where those features you have in mind are described.