ODROID-C1

Massimo Callegari

So finally I got mine **yesterday** (damn italian post)
Again, no custom expenses, which is good, so it truly costs 40$
BUT

- it has a custom power plug. You **cannot** power it up with the micro USB OTG port, so you need to buy a 5$ power adapter
- it has a micro HDMI connector, so to see something on a TV you need to buy an extra cable

Basically you need to add 10$/10€ of accessories before you can do anything on it.
Once again, the Raspberry Pi wins over this device for the simple reason that they stick with standard connectors.

Especially I don't really like the power plug when everyone is going to micro USB, even phones.
As for HDMI...to save 10mm of board they went on the most uncommon connector ever (tablets normally have mini HDMI)

I'll keep you posted on my software analysis, especially the MIDI part, since I have a nanoKONTROL too.
Zeph

I successfully used mine to run a show last weekend. I used VNC on an iPad to talk to the device, though a wireless router. Worked OK, but not yet ideal. I still don't have Midi working, will try again this week.

One thing I noticed, it won't boot without a keyboard attached. I left my keyboard at home and when I got to the gig the device would not boot. I suspect it was saying something like "Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue."

So on Friday night I had static lights. Saturday I figured out the problem and got it working, and had a decent show Saturday night.

The device did great running the lights, no issues at all, no lag.
Jano Svitok

I bought one as well. Yesterday I was able to start plain desktop, didn't have time to play with it more.

For Ubuntu image from 4.2 (release 1.3) they say USB MIDI is included and they solved the gigabit problem.
Massimo Callegari

Finally got my C1 up and running.
I confirm what Jano said: image 1.3 includes all the necessary driver for USB MIDI devices. Connected my nanoKONTROL 2 and it is recognized.

I haven't built QLC+ yet for 2 reasons:
- no time for it
- the 1.3 image is missing the MALI DRM kernel module, so xorg rendering is crap and got me disgusted to proceed further on. I started a thread in the hardkernel forum: http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=9289
Let's see if they reply