RGBAnimation: knobs ?

david garyga

Hey,

I've finally been able to test the virtual console rgbmatrix, and like it :)
I've added the possibility to add Knobs to the controls, because I wanted to be able to control R/G/B values with a physical knob, live.

Are you OK for this feature ?

I've also fixed some issues, like copy not implemented yet, so I can put all the changes together in a pull request.
Massimo Callegari

Hi David, thanks.
Where did you add the knobs ? As custom controls or by default in the widget ?

The idea is nice, but I suspect that:
- when users see RGB knobs they will want them also in the slider widget when Click&Go is enabled
- if you add knobs you should add also sliders, cause lots of external controllers have the second (and maybe not the first)

Oh, since you are coding in there, can you please have a look at why the custom controls order is not the same of what is saved in the XML ? I suspect it's something related to QHash m_controls;
I remember you once said that QHash is ordered and QMap is not...maybe I got it wrong ?
Massimo Callegari

On a second thought, forget my second comment. Users can associate their physical sliders to the knobs. In the end they are just a visual representation and moreover they take less space in the widget !
david garyga

- The knobs are currently added as custom controls, they could be by default in the widget too, I'll just have to change this.
I also added the possibility of hiding some default widgets, like it's been done in the vcspeeddial, so as default controls, they could be shown or hidden.

- I never use click and go, I'll have a look at this, because I don't get your point as of now.
- The point of knobs was: they have the same size as buttons, it look better in the custom controls layout. Sliders can be done too. And this can be toggled if we opt for these controls as default controls in the vcmatrix.

- The custom control button order, I've noticed this too, and fixed it :)
it would be included in the PR ;)

FYI, QHash is unordered, QMap is ordered :)

I think it's better to change what I've done, and add these knobs/sliders as default controls (maybe hidden by default ?).
Massimo Callegari

David, I'd prefer to have the knobs as custom controls.
Also, I guess they are grouped for RGB, so 3 knobs or none, right ?
I wouldn't give the possibility to add single knobs for R,G or B

As for QHash...shame on me !
Jano Svitok

QMap is still ordered by the key (in this case QPushButton * is the key) - so it won't keep the order of addition. You'll have to add explicit order somewhere (though I'm not sure what order are you looking for...).
Massimo Callegari

Well, the map has to be ordered by QPushButton reference. Since they are created with the order stored in the XML, I suppose they will be sequential in memory.
Anyway, yes, we should find a better solution.
david garyga

They have to be ordered by Id, and it's not a problem, we just have to reorder every time we recreate the displaying of the custom controls.
We don't have to store them ordered, we just have to display them ordered. It does not cost much to reorder by id at the vcmatrix creation or modification. Pretty much mothing.
Anyway, it's fixed already in my repo.

I'll create a PR once everything is cleaned up and set as you proposed: grouped rgb knobs, as custom controls.

Thanks for the feedback :)
Alessandro Grechi

I've just tried your code, well done David! ;)

Just two more things I've found:
- feedback to midi input device does not works for custom controls buttons.
- the button of the running animation I think should be switched on like the other ones in VC.
david garyga

Hi Alessandro,

Thanks for your feedback.

You mean feedback from the Buttons, right ? This has not been implemented yet. Does the feedback from the Knobs work ?

And as for the feedback and on/off state for the buttons, I'll see if this can be done easily.

Cheers

EDIT: Can you please retest new update for button status and feedback:
https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/pull/409

Alessandro Grechi

Hi David,
I had the time to test only button status for now. I've found something strange happening when I have two (or more) variants of the same animation. For ex: Stripes horizontal and Stripes vertical. In this case, both buttons light up together!

Thanks!
david garyga

Hopefully fixed :)

But something changed with the fix:
All the properties are now displayed, default ones are not hidden anymore.

Do you like it, do you not like it ?
Alessandro Grechi

I like it!
It was a litte bit confusing before... now is definitively better!

I will try everything even with an external midi input as soon as I have a chance to.

Thank you! :)