EFXPreview: "Natural" preview

david garyga

Hi,

About this:
https://sourceforge.net/p/qlcplus/discu ... age=1#ea52

I've been working on this "Natural" representation of a head during an EFX.
Imagine the moving head is inside a big paper sphere, at the center.
The black path is the current representation: Pan/Tilt channels values.
The red path is where the light is supposed to appear on the sphere, viewed from the top.

- My work on this is almost ready, do you think this can be usefull, do you want me to finish it up ?

- Do you have remarks/suggestions/questions ?

- After it's done, I want to do the same kind of projection in the 2dMonitor, would you like this ?

Cheers
Massimo Callegari

Hi David, unfortunately I am not the EFX expert, so I couldn't say if a change is better than another.
Jano did most of the work in the EFX manager, so if he reads this maybe he can give his opinion/comments.
Jano Svitok

David, I'm following your changes (in fact, I added your github repo as remote to my local copy, so that I can fetch your changes together with Massimo's).

I even compiled your preview once, but I didn't get it yet :) I have to find some time to figure out the meaning of the red graph. I will check it once more...

Finally, anything that makes it easier to understand the movement is a plus.
david garyga

Okay, good to know :) I won't mess with commit messages !

Well, if you have tested the current state of the feature, I'll try to explain (it's very raw as-is):
- It only shows the position for absolute efx (not relative), so if you usually create relative efxs, it does not reflect the real position at all.
- When double-clicking on the efxpreview area, options appear: for each fixture in the efx, you can select its pan-range in degrees, its tilt-range in degrees, and wether or not you want to display its "natural" path. Double-click again, options are applied.

For a relative efx, it's impossible to display the position of the head if we don't know the original values of pan/tilt before applying the efx.
I will add something to simulate this. (get the current channels values when entering the efxpreview for example)