DMX KeyPad

jannis87

Hi Sebastian,
sorry I didn't respond earlier, I just saw your questions today.
To get QLC+ on the web browser is easy. Just make sure you are using the latest version and append "-w" to the command line. Then, in your web browser enter "http://:9999" or "http://127.0.0.1:9999" if testing it locally and you should be set.

The DMX keypad has not yet been merged to QLC+ and you could access it if you compiled QLC+ yourself.
forresthopkinsa

Can we get an update on this? It's been a year and a half, and this would be really useful functionality. Are there any major issues that are preventing it from being pushed upstream?
Production Director for Coastline Church NW

Software Engineer at AWS S3
Baer

Would be great to have this feature, and would be even greater to have the possiblity to add this to the virutal console
Tasaei

a friend of mine implemented it, too, was really cool to work with!
bblinky

Tasaei wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:20 pm a friend of mine implemented it, too, was really cool to work with!
Github?
sbenejam

There is a DMX Keypad on the web interface of QLC +.
https://www.qlcplus.org/docs/html_en_EN ... rface.html
edogawa

I've done a bit of work to get the dmxkeypad code up to date, to compile against current master, and add keyboard input.

See my comment in https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/pull/280
mcallegari

I'm here.

Is there a convention for the "language" to be used?
I can start from where Jannis left (6 years ago :( )
Attachments
Screenshot_20201119_205416.png
edogawa

That's a difficult topic, I'll try to summarize my little knowledge (or what I think I know) about it and still keep it a short post ;-)

Hardware venders all use their own logic and concepts that have developed over decades, and users tend to prefer one or another depending on what philosophy they grew up with...

Really, MA Lighting, ETC Congo, ETC Eos Family, Strand Genius, Compulite, Avab, Hog, they may share *some* basic ideas but differ considerably in others. Some are better suited for theater, others for concert/clubbing, and some try to be allrounders. Also during the last years a whole new generation of hard- and software has emerged, to introduce modern concepts to better handle the many possibilities that new intelligent multicoloured lights offer.

That's also the reason why you usually depend on a board operator to program the venue's lighting console when you arrive there on tour and don't bring your own board. I'm trained on Strand Genius software and Compulite Spark and Applause desks, can more or less deal with simpler stuff on ETC Eos, but have hardly a clue about AVAB, GrandMA or ETC Congo, for example. Some of these big desks offer switching to alternative input methods, for operators that are trained to other systems of that same manufacturer, and/or personal preference choices.

I've seen sections in handbooks of big desks to explain how keyboard input and the commandline interpreter work, so you get a basic understanding of the thinking behind and can quickly learn the "language". They usually talk about commandline elements like commands, targets, operators, modifiers, and explain the needed syntax by instruction and example, and after a while you get the hang of it. Also the onscreen status area usually gives error or warning messages for wrong/incomplete or dangerous commands, and desks often offer a help page.

The current DMX keypad in QLC+ is very basic. At the moment it allows to assign values to one or a combination of several DMX channels, and that's it, but that's pretty helpful and timesaving already. Extending it beyond that would probably ask for a way to call scenes, channel groups or whatever targets for operations by number.

I have no clue if kripton (is that Jannis?) still is around or has any plans to continue with this.
mcallegari

Alright, I've got a working prototype
Most difficult part is +/- buttons (still not working)

@Edgar: thanks for the usual lengthy post ;) To be honest though I'm not sure if in 2020, and seeing also how many features software can have (vs hardware), operators are still that attached to a keypad.
Anyway, I've noticed there's interest in this, so I've finally found some time to work on it.
Attachments
Screenshot_20201120_120748.png
janosvitok

I'm not lighting operator; I understand that keyboard entry allows much faster programming, especially if all fixtures are numbered (Universe.Fixture) and those numbers are printed on a paper lighting plot.
mcallegari

universe.fixture.channel would be a nice solution actually, even though Simple Desk acts on one universe at the time (so fixture.channel should be enough)
Also, we know fixture IDs are unique across universes, so fixture.channel is indeed an absolute reference.
However, it means QLC+ should provide those numbers (IDs) somewhere, and even better a way to print them. In QLC+ 5 it could be pretty easy and I can work on it

examples:
set channel 5 of fixtures from 3 to 8 to 127
FX 3 THRU 8 CH 5 AT 127 (maybe "3.5 THRU 8.5 AT 127" could work too)

set fixture 4 channel 7 to 255
ID 4.7 AT 255 (maybe "4.7 AT 255" could work too)
...something like that?
edogawa

For me the DMX keypad makes most sense for conventional dimmer channels, simply universe.channel.

I can see reason and benefit to include fixture as hierarchy layer, but I think it should be optional syntax if that's possible, buttons for sharable parameters (pan, tilt, R,G,B,W, Strobe etc.) make more sense than numbered channels for "intelligent lights" ... I nave no idea how much coding work that means, just my 2c.
GGGss

IMHO FX reads like eFX - I wouldn't use that keyword in QLC+ context.
Others use Effect for the EfX function. So renaming the EFX editor (and sub names used) to EFF(ect) editor could solve the keyword issue I'm posting about?

In the logic of making it universal -> the 5-dot principle:
'FX 5' -> [Uni 1, Fx(Id) 1], DMX channel 5
'FX .5' -> [Uni 1], FX(Id) 1, DMX channel 5
'FX 3.5' -> [Uni 1], Fx(Id) 3, channel 5
'FX 4.3.5' -> Uni 4, Fx(d) 3, channel 5

, a double dot could be used also?
'FX ..5' Would read as Uni 1, FX(ID) 1, DMX channel 5
'FX 3..5' ->Uni 3, [FX(ID) 1], DMX channel 5

For the theatre people:
'FX 3.-5' (notice minus) -> Uni 3, DMX channel 5 (real DMX channel, no fixture ID)
'FX -.' -> theatre; all fixtures in Uni 1

Don't forget Muti-headed-fixtures: (trailing double point)
'FX 3.18.7..1' (notice double trailing dot) -> Uni 3, FX(ID) 18, HEAD 7, channel 1
'FX 1..' -> [Uni 1] Fx(Id) 1, all heads
'FX 4.3.5..3' -> Uni 4, Fx(Id) 3, HEAD 5 at channel 3

Errors:
'FX 17' -> error: No fixture [at Uni 1 Fx(Id) 1] having channel 17
'FX .17 -> error: No fixture found at [Uni 1] with Fx(Id) 17
'FX 7.81' -> error: No FX(ID) 81 at Uni 7, there might be an DMX address 81 in Uni 7? Use '-'
'FX 3..17' -> error: You don't have channel 17 assigned in fixture Fx(Id) 1 in Uni 3
'FX 3.4.17' -> error: You don't have channel 17 assigned in fixture Fx(Id) 4 in Uni 3

'FX ..-17 -> error: No [FX(ID) 1 in Uni 1] has address 17 assigned (to a dimmer pack)
'FX 3.-18.-7..1' -> error: You cannot address Uni 3, address 18 because head 7 is at addressed elsewhere
'FX -7' -> theatre: soft error: no Fixture assigned at Uni 1, having a DMX channel 7
'FX .-17..' -> (trailing point) theatre: offending command: [Uni 1] does not have HEAD 1 defined at DMX channel 17

The zero keyword: '0' = all intensity channels
'FX 0' -> all intensity channels [in Uni 1 for Fx(Id) 1] (+all sub heads)
'FX 3.0' -> all intensity channels [in Uni 1], Fx(Id) 3 (+sub heads)
'FX 2.0.0' -> all intensity channels in Uni 2
'FX 0.0.0 -> warning: all intensity channels in all universes selected, repeat command if you are sure ;-)

I might go on like this, maybe it's better to have more clever people reviewing this idea...
More complex is more input power but apply KISS (Keep it Stupid Simple) where needed.
All electric machines work on smoke... when the smoke escapes... they don't work anymore
giacomo

hello,
interesting and I've a questions about these IDs:
in case would it be possible to edit them? or assign a number during the patch?
Because this could help the organization of the show design, with qlc+4 I usually re-patch the fixtures several times during a production to get an order - especially visual for selection ease - that make sense to me and unfortunately this happens only around the middle of the rehearsals phase when the ideas are more clear for everybody.
Also, if I understand right, these IDs would be the same during a tour and this is an extra nice help.

Just another idea, it could be good the ability to recall pallettes directly within the keypad in qlc+5,
personally I'm used to the mouse because of my laptop but I've seen light operators ultra fast with the keyboard.

@GGGss, I understand you but I would go with KISS
giacomo

out of topic, how are you all?
I'm slowly fading to crisis this second lock-down...!
mcallegari

I'll try to reply to some comments at once

FX -> EFX.... it's Simple Desk, not Function manager. I don't see any conflict there. Anyway it can be FXT. I just proposed it to be as short as possible
Implicit values 0 .0 0.0 0.0.0: too many implicit rules. Let's keep it simple and intuitive. Obviously a small guide needs to be written

IDs cannot be edited. They're the IDs emitted by QLC+ upon fixture creation. They are saved in the project. Adding a layer of "custom IDs" would be extra effort
Palettes from Simple Desk: that's not the purpose of SD. No functions, no palettes.

In general, i imagine Simple Desk to be useful for small operations. Not quite for a show design. I implemented other much more advanced tools and workflows in v5.
Also, in v5 I always keep in mind how a tool can work on a touchscreen, and I believe the keypad is much more usable with the fingers rather than mouse or keyboard.
giacomo

I see and agree with your vision but then why expose these IDs?
You're adding a extra layer of numbers that we cannot manipulate,
with this solution I'm with Edogawa for the straight simplicity, isn't it?
mcallegari

giacomo wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:34 am I see and agree with your vision but then why expose these IDs?
You're adding a extra layer of numbers that we cannot manipulate, with this solution I'm with Edogawa for the straight simplicity, isn't it?
I was responding to Jano's comment:
I'm not lighting operator; I understand that keyboard entry allows much faster programming, especially if all fixtures are numbered (Universe.Fixture) and those numbers are printed on a paper lighting plot.
So yes, you cannot edit those IDs, but you can see them, print them and use them in Simple Desk as a shortcut to modify fixture values.