Errors compiling on OSX (compiler macros?)

mdmayfield

I'm trying to compile the latest source from Git on Mac OS X 10.11.6. So far I've closely followed the instructions here.

Something seems to be wrong with the makefile or some other mechanism by which information is passed to the compiler, and I could use some help diagnosing. Sequence:

1) Clone the source into a local directory
2) cd there
3) /opt/local/libexec/qt4/bin/qmake -spec macx-g++ (this dir is not in my $PATH... though the result is the same whether I call it by absolute path or by putting that dir in $PATH)
4) Makefile is created, apparently correctly
5) make
6) Error in compiling mastertimer-unix.cpp:

Code: Select all

mastertimer-unix.cpp:116:25: error: use of undeclared identifier
      'CLOCK_MONOTONIC'
    ret = clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, finish);
I'm inferring from this page that there is no such function as CLOCK_MONOTONIC on OSX. In mastertimer-unix.o there are a bunch of compiler directives like

#if defined(Q_OS_OSX) || defined(Q_OS_IOS)
    ret = clock_get_time(cclock, finish);
#else
    ret = clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, finish);
#endif
So apparently for some reason "Q_OS_OSX" is not being recognized as defined. My next step was to add #define Q_OS_OSX to the start of mastertimer-unix.o, and while that gets past the CLOCK_MONOTONIC error, I now see a variety of other errors such as mastertimer-unix.cpp:46:61: error: use of undeclared identifier 'cclock'; did you mean 'clock'?.

I'm guessing from this that there's someplace else with an #if defined(Q_OS_OSX) that's not registering the right OS.

Can anyone suggest a path forward to troubleshooting and resolving this properly? I suspect I'm missing something in the makefile, but am not quite sure where to go from here.

Thanks,

Matt
mdmayfield

I got past the original error by grepping -r the source tree and manually adding #define Q_OS_OSX to any file that did an #if defined test, but now I'm getting PortAudio related errors. "_Pa_CloseStream", "_Pa_GetDefaultInputDevice", "_Pa_GetDefaultOutputDevice", and several other _Pa* symbols are "not found for architecture x86_64" and causing the linker to fail.

PortAudio is definitely installed:

Matt-Mayfields-MacBook-Pro:qlcplus mattmayfield$ sudo port install portaudio
Password:
--->  Cleaning portaudio
--->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
--->  No broken files found.
I can't help but feel like I'm missing something obvious and that the #define kludge outlined above shouldn't be necessary. Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks,

Matt
mlohrey

This probably doesn't help one little bit ;) , but I have been using Mac OS to compile without issue but am using Mac OS 10.12.6 and Qt 5.7.1.
mcallegari

macOS builds on Qt4 are marked as outdated (see Wiki)
Use the Qt5 instructions: https://github.com/mcallegari/qlcplus/wiki
mdmayfield

Oops. Thank you, I will try that.